Every company has a kind of company positioning, but only few know it in detail or know how their customers perceive it. The positioning on the market results from company activities and from the individual communication that a company sends out. The decisive factor is usually the interpretation of the market and not the own interpretation, because it's on the market where the contact decision, the award of a contract or the consideration of a business relationship takes place.
a) Totally new positioning
b) Expansion of the positioning
• Reorientation and corrections
• Development of new products
• Decrease in turnover and profit
• Establishment of new business fields
• Entry into new markets
• Disproportional growth
• Company merger and company purchase
• The desire to be perceived differently
• Long-term period without any positioning
• Different internal understandings and communication concerning the company positioning
• Major changes in the company
• Achievement of a unique competitive position
• Image building and image cultivation
• Approaching the target group
• Activation of the company's potential
• Better and more understandable customer communication
• Better differentiation from the competition
• Target-oriented acting becomes possible
• Increase in competitiveness
• Increase in the number of good customers
• Realization of a more effective market penetration
• More business deals
• Easier sales success
• Opportunities for more profit
• Reasonable and more specific directing of investments
• Reduction of advertising costs
The development of turnover and the customer structure of a specific business segment, product or service provide the first information on the current existing company positioning. But also elements like the entire assortment, the company culture, company targets and practice, the owners, employees etc. play an important role in the positioning of a company.
Company positioning is like producing a security key to the door “Customer”. For that the key “positioning” is to be understood – beside of all facets, details and edges – as an all-in-one package and must be worked with very precisely. This is the only way to prevail over the competition and open the lock to the customer with this key.
On the one hand, it is necessary to exactly identify what a company stands for and on the other hand, the assessment of the market in relation to the company and its offer must be analysed.
Since everyone interprets things individually and the market is constantly changing, the company's positioning is always in flux. The once established or lived behaviours and the company performance suddenly no longer fit the customer requirements or are outdated. This process is flowing and slinking. Usually the people in a company don't notice it because they are within the system. Such changes can only be seen from the outside or recognized through targeted and intensive analysis.
That is why we speak on the one hand of internal self-assessment and on the other hand of external assessment.
External assessment versus internal self-assessment
The practice shows that the results of these two points of view are different in fact. This can also be imagined as an overlap of two circles. If there are only minor differences it hardly leads to acceptance problems, the overlap is then relatively large. Congruence can also be increased through targeted customer marketing. However, if the interpretations are further apart, from the customer's point of view a company can no longer overcome the critical acceptance hurdle and is therefore no longer considered as an acceptable business partner. In this case, all efforts made so far have been in vain.
For most companies the current positioning is an arbitrary result of their previous business activities in combination with the corporate communication conducted so far. It can often be observed that the current positioning no longer fits the market, is outdated, and lacks concrete analyses, ongoing optimisations or a strong or specific vision or mission.
Especially with young companies, such changes in positioning occur to a great extent until about 10 years after foundation. A typical feature for changes in positioning is, for example, a significant decline in sales and profits. But it can also be the development of new business fields, products or services that change the perception of the customer.
For companies that have been active on the market for more than 10 years, we often observe that a review of the company's positioning and, if necessary, readjustment have been done a long time ago and that action is required here, too.
1. Neutral analysis of the initial situation
b. Business segments, Products, Services
2. Analysis of the competition
3. Analysis of the market
4. Development and recognition of suitable possibilities of positioning
5. Determination of a sustainable company positioning
6. Deriving measures and actions from the analyses
7. Development of targeted activities
8. Regular review and adjustment of the company positioning
Sensitively recognizing which company positioning is really suitable.
For this a lot of experience and a very good analytical know-how in company analysis is needed in combination with the ability to assess current and future competition in an entrepreneurial way. Competitive advantages, the market, and the potentials of a company play an important role. Subsequently, the positioning found must be lived and turned into reality through targeted measures.
Background & Experience Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Ing. (FH) Rolf Popp:
• 20 years of experience in strategic consulting
• Several hundred enterprises analyzed
• Constant dialogue with successful entrepreneurs and CEOs
• Specialist for competitive advantages
• Lecturer for corporate management
• Lecturer for marketing and distribution
Additionally, we provide and bring with us:
• Neutral, open perspectives
• Sensitive recognition and assessment of the initial situation
• Deep and intensive entrepreneurial know-how
• Experienced knowledge relating to the sustainability of companies
• Sustainable consulting and support.
• We readily submit an offer for a complete revision of your company positioning.
• You can order a workshop. Understanding and recognizing the most important aspects, factors for success and opportunities.
• Knowledge transfer within a coaching.
• Of course we always show you concrete samples and models.
• We have developed specific methods and procedures for target-oriented and quick results.
• We gladly provide you a selection of references.
We support you individually, target-oriented, and competently with our expert knowledge and long-term personal experience in company positioning. That’s your competitive advantage.